Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Here we go again!

Back to the vet. Peanut had an abscess form again and has had one on and off for the last few months. Recently it disappeared and I thought, finally they are healed!!

Nope-last week, I felt one forming again. I took her to the vet yesterday and they confirmed it is another abscess. They shaved the area, cleaned it out (gross) and sent her home with lots of medicine. This time I have to drain the area with peroxide and insert an ointment into the wound. Yuck! But I will do it with care as she is my girl and anything to help her get better!

They also said that if the infection doesn't go away, they will have to go back in and open her up to see why the drain isn't healing right and why there is an infection continuing.

So we go home, Peanut is thrilled to be out of there, I'm nervous again about the possibility of surgery again, but hopeful that the anitbiotics will work.

I give Peanut her medicine around 6pm last night and clean her wounds as directed. I could see the lethargy setting in. She was drowsy from 7pm on. Around 7:30 I bring her on the couch to snuggle with her as this was a pretty stressful afternoon. She was fine and sleeping comfortably when around 8:30, she jumps off the couch and goes back in the bedroom. I see what she's up to and notice that she had vomited. The concerned mama that I am calls the vet to see what's up.
They told me to try it again tomorrow and make sure she has food in her stomach and give her the meds after she had eaten.

This morning she has her energy back and ate her food just fine, I give her the meds and clean her wounds, then head off to work. I am hoping to come home to no vomit and a dog still living.

Well, 1 out of 2 isn't bad. She's still alive, but there was vomit. AGH!!! I called the vet after cleaning up the mess and am waiting to hear back as to what to do next. I did give her some food since she threw it all up earlier today. I am hoping that they will change her meds to something different or reduce the amount she is getting.

I will be sure to add this to the bills for the pit bull's owner!!!

No comments: