Friday, July 07, 2006

Happy Friday!

The week is over! I shouldn't complain since I only worked 4 days this week but I am still excited to see Friday here! Now only 10 more work days until PreK is over, but then it's back to REAL work. This program has been great! They have everyday planned out...down to the minute, what to say, what books to read, what activities to do, you name it, they covered it! All we have to do is prep a little and teach the kids. And with 2 teachers in each class, it is really nice to have someone else there to help with discipline issues or anything else that needs to be done.

So there's this one little boy in our class that is just lost...poor thing! His parents have enabled him in every way! Getting dressed, eating, just about everything. It's very frustrating as his mom just doesn't understand that she needs to start letting him do things on his own, and thinks that we are to blame for him using his right hand-as he "always uses his left hand and this summer he's not allowed." Now, we all know-at least those of you reading this that are teachers- that you allow the child to pick up the crayon, pencil, etc with whatever hand they choose and that is the hand you help guide the child with. She also thinks that coming to school 2 hours late is ok, as it is just PreK. I have been helping him cut this week and I don't think I have many hairs left in my head! He just goes numb in his hands and expects you to do it for him. I was very frustrated with him. I know it's not his fault but if mom isn't going to step up, you know the teachers always do! He will definately struggle next year and I wish his Kdg teacher the best of luck-hope she/he has a LOT of patience!

I think I have learned a lot being a teacher, especially teaching this summer, as to what I want to do when I become a mom. See above for further clarification.

So it's Friday and what am I doing this fine day of the week? Well, I have a cold Yuengling in hand, a movie in the DVD player and laundry in the washer and dryer. So, pretty much a wild Friday night! Tomorrow I'm headed to Orlando to have lunch with some college girlfriends. It should be nice as I haven't seen them in a long time! Oh, I dont' think I told any of you! You know I was in a sorority in college, well, our house mom wrote a book about her life as a house mom! She was there for a few years before me and I think a few years while I lived in the house...I need to get the book to see what is mentioned and if I remember any of her stories!
Well, it's time to start the movie! Enjoy your evening!

1 comment:

eljay716 said...

umm sounds good, a nice cold one about now! Ah it reinforces all we do to hear you talk about the little boy. Bring them to us, we will let them grow and learn! We introduce our 2 yr old class to scissors in March, before our class time ends in May. Then they have them in the 3 yr old class all the time. I feel for that K teacher too! Have a great time this weekend..be careful with the rain.
Linda