Monday, June 19, 2006

Father's Day Lobster

For Father's Day, Bill wanted lobster, and he wanted Pat and Tim and I to cook it. We were up for the challenge! So, on Friday, I was out shopping for Angie's first birthday present at Target and what do I see in the $ spot? Lobster everything! Plates, candles, placemats, platters, serving bowls, bibs, aprons, chef hats, pails (for the shells), and so much more. So I of course called my mom and told her of my find. Nearly $40 later, I was ready for the party. Wasn't really sure who was buying the lobster, but I figured after finding all the lobster stuff, I got out of that job.

So Sunday comes and I make my way up to Clearwater. Tim, my mom and I head out to get the lobster. I wasn't to excited about having to stick a poor, helpless lobster into boiling water. So I checked online and it said to freeze the lobster for about 10 minutes first to numb it. So I tell my mom this and she tells the man at the store-he laughed! He told me that they enjoy going to the "Spa" (Not too funny if you ask me!) I still was very leary about it and was hoping that none of them made any shreiking noises (I heard they do this) as I "plunge them head first into the boiling water" (That's what the directions said.) So we get home and the pots are already boiling. My brothers and I get our aprons, and chef hats and my mom gets the camera Posted by Picasa
(I think I need to teach her how to scrap all the photos she takes-she tells me that's my job, and that she has plenty of them for me) and we each take turns putting a lobster in a pot. I did NOT go first! No sounds yet, so I try it, I reach for a lobster out of the bag and it starts moving, so I decide to leave him and reach into the other bag.

And very gently, I "plunge his/her head first into the boiling water" but make sure tell it sorry while doing so. Then in goes the rest of the body, very gently-as if a slow death is better than a fast one, but at least I cared right? And not a sound was heard for any of them. I was secretly hoping that they would be dead before we made it home. I even asked the guy how long can they live out of water. He just kepy laughing at me. Well, it wasn't too bad, but I may not do it again real soon. You never know when they will shriek!

4 comments:

Kip said...

Love the pictures!!!! You're too funny! Did Bill love his lobster?

JulesinParadise said...

What a fun father's day and you all are just too cute! Lobsters should be pretty easy to scrap, right?

eljay716 said...

How funny but I can totally relate. I only did it once. I can eat them in the resturant but I don't want to cook them at home. Great story, love the pics, see you learned that already.
Linda

Pam in Moncton said...

Hi Amy! Love the pictures. Now please tell me they were proper northern lobsters (Maine or New Brunswick ones) or I will be very disappointed. The best way to cook lobsters is to have the fish market do it for you and then eat them cold. That's how we do it here anyway!
Pam